Pages

Oh for the love of . . .

Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Finally took a look at ArcGIS Online, released in May this year. I now feel a wee bit like Mike Doonesbury circa 2000:


So I've been working for a few months on an open-source workflow that runs between a web map and an editable database with embedding capability, actually pretty psyched that ESRI wasn't in that space yet. I wish I'd tried this out months ago:



View Larger Map

It looks like you still need some ArcSDE and ArcGIS for server chops to pull off a completely-editable interface - to actually practice vector editing in a webpage window - but this was frightening. I threw the above map together in 30 minutes using ArcGIS Online, while coding something similar from scratch took closer to 40 hours (though I'm no programmer).

ESRI strikes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment